Little Melton Parish Council

Little Melton History Group - Annual Report 2010

The two remaining active members of the History Group who wrote the Little Melton book (published 2003) are Anne Carter and Annetta Evans. Both of us are still interested in finding new facts about the village when we can.

Two interesting stories emerged in 2009.

The first concerns the huge JUBILEE LIME TREE at the junction of Mill Road and Rectory Lane. The diary of a former vicar, Rev. Soden, reveals the fact that he planted it on 21 June 1887 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. After a short church service, he and the whole concourse of villagers, led by Hethersett Band, then walked to Mr. R. Andrews's Elm Farm for a good dinner of beef and plum pudding, with beer for the men. (This story was told to the congregation in Little Melton church exactly 122 years later, on 21 June 2009, when the new church extension was opened and blessed by the Bishop of Thetford).

The second concerns one of the men commemorated on our war memorial, ALBERT JOY about whom we had no information. In October 2009 a member of his family called at the shop and was directed to Rambler Cottage (Anne Carter's home). Albert was born on 28 October 1896 at a cottage on Hethersett Road, Little Melton, where he lived with his father John Joy. Both were "farm servants." Albert died on 15 February 1919, aged 23, as a result of "Shell Shock, Systolic Mummers and Diabetes" which were all attributed to the war. He had originally enlisted with the Norfolk Regiment at the age of 18 but transferred to the Border Regiment. He was a Lance Corporal, having served in Egypt and France. He joined up on 18 June 1914 and was discharged as 100% unfit in September 1917, when he received a full pension of 27 shillings and 6 pence per week. He was about 5ft 51n tall, with blue eyes and brown hair and single. (This information can be substantiated from the War and Pension Records and the 1901 census).

Anne Carter, Little Melton. 11 March 2010.